Friday, June 20, 2008

An Artistic Interposition The 70's  ( continued)

There has ben too many words, and not enough art, so I am interjecting at this point more art from the past.
       
                          That was a bit of fine madness from 1972.
In 1971, I was fortunate to meet wallace Wood. Woody, was living in Long Island, with a bride,and ready made family. The unfortunate part was that Woody was never happy.
I worked  in Woody's studio , in Valley Stream, NY with the talents of, Nicola Cuti, Syd Shores, Jack Able,,and the occaisional visiting, artist who happened by. My job was to spot blacks, ie:
blacken in the areas on his comics strips, Sally Forth, and cannon. The strips were created for the overseas weekly newspapers. You haven't lived as an apprentice, until you hear tsss! over your shoulder, as you are inking in the art of the master.I looked over my sholder, and there was Woody, grimacing at the work I had just completed.Just like that, with a flourishing whip of the masters hand, with some  whiteout, the page was good as new.Woody, just smiled at me, and said continue. Woody was very forgiving, and also giving. He would let me do more and more, on a page of his creation. I always was watchful, and knew that I could not be  Woody,
so I went as far as I could with the inking.  He taught me a lot.As the years passed, we went our separate ways. Woody was a wonderful teacher, and good soul, we were good friends.
Those who know  Woody have had different impressions of him. I enjoyed his company, and friendship..and was awed by his amazing talent
Sally Forth originally© 1971 Wallace Wood Published by Overseas Weekly 
Published 1993 Eros Comix © Bill Pearson

No comments: