Thursday, March 20, 2008

Artistic Memoirees © 2008 stevens

Artistic Memoirees© 2008
Where was I?...
Did I mention a while back that I got Lyme disease, and can't find my keys, or my way some times.... If I asked that question previously, I apologize.
..... That's in the future, and I'm trying to keep this in a chronology of decades, and also about art.
Ok I'm back, yeah the 60's to the 70's.
Underground Comix
I had a few chances at the underground, whether, I missed it because of timing, 
or because mistiming, or because of something else, I'll leave that in the past.
I did receive quite a few letters of encouragement, from various magazines, even had work published at a fairly young age. 
After I left Go Magazine, I mentioned I met a girl.
 Susan, Let's call her Susan Smith, it's easier that way.
I met Susan travelling to and fro, Go magazine, on the Long Island Rail Road, I think it was fro.
We sat next to each other on a crowded car. she smiled her crooked tooth smile, and asked to see my portfolio of cartoons . (These were my cartoons from Go Magazine, Esquire Sox, music  cartoons, Royal Crown Cola,and all.) Her eyes lit up, she was impressed, she thought I was famous,. I was young  and naive, not famous.
 My stop was  before hers. She said let's meet again. 
We each travelled to NYC on the same train line, 
it was inevitable we would meet again, and so we planned to do so. 
We met daily in the same car, to and fro. we became friends.
We dated, even though she had a boy friend in the service, 
which I found about as time passed.
Wait, this is about art...
 Ok, she was an artist, and I was a cartoonist kind of artist,Kindred?
I lived at home, at the cross of a point in my life, that was depressing, and enlightening.
 My brother and sister got married the  same
 year, so I was left to live at home with my
 Father, Mother and Grandmother
, in the same house, after the flight of the two older siblings. 
Not the healthiest of options. The fire or the frying pan. 
Wait this is about art....
I moved in with Susan, much to my parents disfavor, to say the least!
and so it goes....
To be continued

No comments: