Friday, March 14, 2008

Artistic Memoirees ©2008 stevens

Artistic Memoirees © 2008 stevens
 Slowly towards the seventies   
  Above is a cartoon portrait of me from a 
  Warren Publications , "Creepy" Magazine
© Oct.1968, Issue # 23, drawn by my good
friend, Barry Rockwell, The story was titled
"Jack Knifed", written by Bill Parente.

Style, Where does style come from.
Barry Rockwell, was  a phenomenal, and is a phenomenal artist.
You can tell he understands, and must have studied anatomy.
I studied cartoons, and since I couldn't draw like Al capp,
 or his staff, I drew in a style that I  felt comfortable with.
 I studied the art of Ed" Big Daddy" Roth, and Mad Magazines
Paul Coker Jr ,especially the Horrifying Cliche's,
 (written byPhil Hahn,Jack Harahan,George Wooodbridge,and May sakami)
While working  at Go Magazine, I found Rizoli Bookstore down the block,
and purchased as many foreign magazines, as I could afford.
What I enjoyed about the French Pilote magazine,
 and The Italian, Linus magazine, 
and the others, was that, since I did not understand the languages, it forced 
 me to create my own idea for gag cartoons. It was better than turning a newspaper upside down
to look at things differently, and it worked. Many of the cartoons were reprints
of old American strips, others were totally foreign, and some were captionless.
Below you will see how my style began, through the enjoyment of a few talented
cartoonist, with unique styles, and approaches to cartoons. Later I learned from others.
The first people who molded my cartoon approach were Ed"Big Daddy"Roth, and Paul Coker Jr
                                                                            
My style will evolve, through  the desire to create art, and  time spent searching for new
 ways to approach my  art. Most of all, trying to keep humor somewhere nearby, 
through the highs and the lows of my life.

No comments: