Thursday, March 6, 2008

Artistic Memoirees © 2008 stevens

Artistic Memoirees©2008
Go Magazine 1969
Someone asked me, "How do you know if anyone reads your blogs?"
A good question. That question was answer yesterday morning , when I received a post
from Robin Leach. If you read my blog yesterday, You would know that Robin Leach was the 
publisher of a Rock and Roll Newspaper, called Go Magazine, in the late 60's.
Thank you Robin. 
Robin Leach informed me of some of the history of our fellow Go employees.
I didn't know that Ruby Mazur, our Art Director,at Go, Created the famous Rolling Stones Tongue artwork,or that Lorraine Alterman, was married to the late Peter Boyle, of" Young Frankenstein", and" Everyone Loves Raymond.
 It was nice to hear that Jan Wenner, the creator of Rolling Stone, gave credit to Go Magazine, when he speaks of his publication. 
Robin Leach is the most recognized name, with Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous, and his other TV programs.
Check out Robin Leach's website via www.lasvegasmagazine.com, 
then hit the Icon for Robin Leach at luxlife, and see what the rich and famous are up to, around Las Vegas                                          .                                                                             My Thanks & cartoon apologies to Robin Leach        
Go Magazine was a unique vehicle,probably one of a kind.
 As I mentioned earlier, It was filled with great stories, informational bits about records, and the artists, reviews and advertisements for the latest record albums .
The center spread was for all the national radio stations, fort their contests, their parties,
or for whatever they chose. I can't remember how many AM stations were involved, but they 
kept me busy.I loved it. I was alone most of the day, creating veloxes.
Above is a sample of a velox of the BEE Gees  circa 1969
Occaisionally,I would create type for headlines, and always be sketching cartoons.
The Executive Offices were one flight up, I hardly saw anyone, being in a dark room, most of the time. I had plenty to work on, with the National ads, and the local radio press, and  getting this all together on a timely basis.
The team worked like a family, and it was great fun. Sure ,there was pressure, especially at crunch time, but the paper always got out on time. 
As I mentioned, I always drew cartoons, and tacked them up on the walls of my dark room.
Pretty Crazy, A dark Room Museum, that no one could see.
Oddly enough, someone did see my dark room out museum.
The next morning when I arrived at the Go offices, set up my camera, for a workout.I turned the lights on, and noticed a few of my drawings were gone. At first I was angry, then flattered, then as I was beginning to go through another emotion, I was asked, to see the Advertising Director, Joe Coleman. Joe told me he liked my unusual cartoons, and he would like to set up a meeting with the Advertising Director, Basil Thompson, at Esquire Socks. Joe wanted me to comp up some ideas about Esquire Socks in a comic strip format, for the meeting. I was psyched. The meeting went well. The idea was launched, and there was a small write up about it  in Advertising Age.
Not bad for a kid less than a year out of Art School.


  
To be continued.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the cartoon- and the memories. sorry we kept you in the dungeon at that point in time but glad your light is now shining. Thanks for the website plug too! I shall follow your ongoing GO saga- cheers-rl