Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Artistic Memoirees © 2008 stevens

Artistic Memoirees©2008
Unfolding into the seventies
Following the surprise of finding type on my shirt sleeve , the next morning, 
I realized  I had better honker down,  and find a job, before I lost my taste for food.
 Not really, I still lived at home.
 A good fortune, and then  again ...... Not!
The Sunday NY Times ran some ads, for a few different jobs,with a new company. 
The job that intrigued me was " Stat King Camera Operator".., creating veloxes, for a newspaper,and to assist in creating Typositor Headlines
"Newspaper job, Camera Operator, New Company, in NYC, "  I applied. 
You Bet !
The interview went well,and the  paste up position,was suggested.  I declined. 
They, then suggested  the Camera operator job.
I said yes .
 Now, of course it may not have been as simple as that, but... then again..
The stipulation was, that, because this was a Newspaper,
 a" Weekly Newspaper", there would  be nights when we  would have to stay 
 until the paper was put to bed,  at what ever the time.
Oh yes, and no overtime pay.
 I took the job, low pay and all.
The Newspaper was "GO" Magazine, it was a newspaper filled with ads for Record companies, Great stories, and the two page center spread  that was for all the AM Radio stations, info, contests, and such, across the Nation
Yes, only AM, radio  was around, as I recall, back then for Our type of music . I believe that FM Radio began in the Mid 70's, but don't quote me on that .
Since name dropping is part of this blog,  I'll mention some of the people who wend in and out of this Artistic Memoiree, at Go Magazine. In no particular order, there was,
Robin Leach , Publisher, Ron Hutchinson Executive Editor ,Phil Flam, ,
 Joe Coleman, Ad Exec, Ruby Mazur, Art Director, Lorraine Alterwein, Editor.
 Chris Hodenfield, writer, Jody Sten ,and a staff of  hardworking, fun people.
 I apologize to all those I have left out, or spelled names incorrectly.
 I'm amazed I remembered, as many as I did.
l will continue more of the Go saga tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how interesting to get this " flash from the past". FYI- Lorraine Alterman went on to marry the late actor Peter Boyle and Ruby Mazur went onto become the famous "tongue" artist for the Rolling Stones. I went on to Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous and the Food Network amongst other tv shows. I look forward to your further memories of life at GO tomorrow- it was a crazy fabulous time and we saw the launch of several unknowns who became lifelong superstars still at the top today. Who would ever believe that Jann Wenner always gives credit to GO for him launching Rolling Stone? Continued success with your blog. You can find mine at www.lasvegasmagazine.com and then hit the Luxe Life with Robin Leach icon. Cheers- rl