Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Artist Memoirees©2008 stevens


The 60's 
When I was in High School,I complained about back pain.
President Kennedy had a Physical Fitness Plan, and the gym
instructors bought into it, big time.
"Lift those weights, We're gonna beat those Russians." was their mantra.
I tried to lift the bar bells, but the pain just intensified. 
My parents were smart enough to realize that, I wasn't going 
through "growing pains". They, immediately sent me to an orthopedic doctor.
The diagnosis was a herniated disc.
The prescription was back rest, lots of back rest.
So, I stayed home on the couch, and drew pictures.
I also built model cars. I built lots of model cars!
I found the art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, through
 building his model cars.
Below is half of his  ad for Airbrushed T-Shirts, & Sweatshirts
 I believe from 1962, or so.

I wrote to Ed Roth's widow, Ilene, to get approval to display the above ad, 
she replied with a  nice e-mail, along with her approval, and a compliment on my web site. 
I told her how as a child I was sick, and copied the art 
of Ed"Big Daddy" Roth
to learn cartooning.
I also mentioned that I built model cars, and, loved his Beatnick Bandit.
I redesigned his Beatnick Bandit Model car
by putting the engine under glass, (Totally impractical) and, moving the drivers seat to where the engine was.
I sprayed the car with gold flake paint, and second coat of candy apple red paint . I upholstered the seat , and entered it in a model car contest where I won 2nd prize. She got a kick out of the story.
 If you are interested in the art and automobiles of Ed "Big Daddy"Roth , go see their web site:
ratfink@manti.com
and enjoy !!
  
As I mentioned , I was in and out of school with back problems . 
The unusual prescribed devices to aid my herniated disc,
 such as a Girdle shaped back brace and my body cast, made me
an easy target for the cruel kids to toy with.
I was tall, lanky, and incredibly uncoordinated carrying a full body cast beneath my clothes .
I had two things on my side,
1)  Art, ie, My ability to draw cars, with funny creatures driving  them,
2) the  school" Greasers". who loved their cars !
You see, I would charge them  a quarter for a cartoon of  their car.
 I would make money,  and they would befriend me,
and  no one would mess with me, because,
 I was Their Artist. 
The system worked.
Thank You Ed "Big Daddy" Roth" !





No comments: