Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Artistic Memoirees © 2008 stevens The 60's


The Mid to Late 60's
As a child I loved to draw, I drew all the time,
My parents were constantly placing paper on the floor,
so I wouldn't ruin the hardwood flooring, or the rugs.
I drew because it was fun, I drew because it was an escape
but,  because I was totally inexperienced,
my drawings were absolutely terrible. Awful !!
I can't show you any because they are all gone now....
Probably for good reason.
In regard to cartooning,
My Grandmothers brother was my first influence. ,
I called him Uncle Fred.
He wanted to be a cartoonist, and tried., apparently, he also was a baseball player.
I dug up some old photos from the early 1900's, These pictures were from 1915, I believe he played for a minor league baseball team, but I don't recognize the uniform.

I can't ask any of my relatives, 
 they all passed away,and, or I have lost contact with them.
My Uncle Fred was a successful artist in his own right, and
could draw amazingly well, but he never became a cartoonist.
As a child, he would show me some of
 his printed artwork.
The Brooklyn Herald newspaper, yellowed with age 
with his front cover  illustration of the Lusitania, before it was torpedoed, in 1915.
A full page advertisement, for the 1912 Auto Show,in NY.
How, I wish I had them today, They were absolutely stunning
I heard tale that they were tossed out after his death.
It really upsets me to this day, that his art was thrown away.
I only have one of his pieces of art, which I am displaying here, I believe it was painted in his later years in the mid 60's.


I always drew , it was my escape.
I was always sick with some malady, or another,
and art was my escape from all the pain.
I loved the newspaper comics, and I saved them,
in fact I still have many today,
all neatly cut into strip format, sitting in a box for many years.
My favorite was Lil Abner. I loved the art,
Later I learned that , some of the finest cartoonists, and illustrators , namely,  Bob Lubbers, Frank Frazetta, and Mad Magazines, Jack Rickard were drawing the beautiful artwork, 
and to a lesser extent Al Capp .
If your interested in more about Al Capp, check out a web page called GoofButton.com, and see the Feb 22, 2007 posting, or you can google him.
The comic strip art  was absolutely beautiful. When Frazetta left Al Capp, the art was taken 
 over by Jack Rickard. The samples I will display here are from the days when Jack Rickard 
drew with, or should I say, drew for Al Capp

I attempted to copy their art , but I was an

inexperienced artist.
So I just drew the best I could. Copying, and tracing the art over and over again.
The drawings were just awful.
As I said , it was my only escape, from everything
, and I fell into a world of my own drawings.
 Bad art or not, I never quit, and , my artwork evolved ,
An evolution based on need, many times, and on so many changes in my life.
I will attempt to locate various pieces of art, and any correspondence from various artists
to show you some of this creative growth, and how, and why the art evolved.
Along with that I would hope that anyone
who has had the desire, to create or just draw doodles for fun,
would continue to create, and perhaps open a conversation regarding same.
Years ago, I created a cartoon school.
I based the idea on how I would like to have been taught.
It was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.I'm getting a head of myself. That was in the 80's.
I realize the blogging is suppose to be done as a diary,
with today being the first entry, and so on.
I will be posting these chapters, from the past to the present,
The reason,
well.... I remember a lot from my past,
but in the present, I can't find my keys.
I apologize, and I will attempt to keep the chapters in a decade chronology, as much as possible.
I will also be mentioning names of people who have spun in and out of my life.
I will do this, to keep it real
but I will, as previously mentioned attempt to keep it in an orderly manner.
In 1965, I worked at a large company, in the mailroom,and attended The School of Visual Arts, at night.
The course I chose, was the Comic Art Workshop.
The instructors were, Chas Slackman, and R O Blechman.It was creative, fun, and best of all, my first love,
Cartooning.
Oh Yeah, back in the Fall of 1964, I received  this correspondence from Lil Abner
cartoonist, Al Capp,  His advice was simply, Do it your own way.
see Attached letter.

No comments: